Sunday, July 21, 2013

Advice for New Teachers

Time for some "Linky Fun!" Click on the picture above & it will take you back to the original site. 
Thanks Latoya! 





Buy
I buy extra supplies when they are on sale at the beginning of the year.  I am finding now more than ever there are so many children who can't afford supplies or it is not a priority for their parents to purchase them.  I usually will buy enough supplies for up to 10 kids.  Most often:  crayons, glue, pencils, markers, and pencil boxes.  I have a tons of scissors in an extra bucket, just in case.  That way no child will feel bad or have anxiety about not having their supplies.

Always
When you are talking to the children always get on their eye level.  I once had a parent say that that was the most important thing I did at meet the teacher & yes, it was my 1st year.  It really shows the children that you are interested in them.



Never
Try not to talk about others and their actions.  It is so hard for most (yes, I am guilty) but you never know who is listening or if the person you are talking to will tell others.  If you need to vent, wait until you can speak to someone outside of school.  If you do have a problem with someone, go to them & talk it out.  They may respect you more for coming to them instead of tattling. I can't stand those that tattle to try to make themselves look better.

 
Find
I find unwind for me is the quiet moment when my room is empty & before I go home to my own littles.  Yes, I want to see my babies so much &  I may still be working ... but I turn on the tunes and relax for a bit.  It is also nice to go to "Happy Hour" with some friends, take a long warm bath, etc.  Make sure you try to unwind daily.


Make
Make it Fun!  If you are having fun & the kids are having fun time flies. They will remember the fun times the BEST!  I always think of Mary Poppins (dorky, I know) "In every job that must be done, there is an element of fun.  You find the fun, and - SNAP- the jobs a game." 

Be
Be Prepared.  WOW~ that is HUGE!  I can not stress how important it is to have your ducks in a row.  I usually have everything sorted and organized by the day of the week for the following week by Friday.  I also have a Sub Tub that holds everything in case of an emergency.  I keep tons of pencils sharpened & stashed. I am "The Labeler" & everything is easy to find.  You can relax a little better if you have to be out when your are prepared.


I hope this helps just one teacher & wish you the very BEST in the upcoming year.  Please feel free to join my blog, I would love to have you visit!
Karen Crawford

2 comments:

  1. Great suggestions, Karen! Hope you'll stop by my blog soon and become one of my Wagoneers.

    Jill, your newest follower
    a-little-red-wagon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill,
      Thanks so much. I am a new member of your blog & love that you joined mine. Hope to share tons with you!
      Karen

      Delete